In TV commercials it is shown that people experience bleeding when brushing and it can be a common sign of gum disease. But, do you know how important it is to deal with this problem?
Gum disease starts when the plaque buildup around teeth is not addressed on time and it results in condition called Gingivitis. The plaque and food that gets trapped in between teeth causes the gums to become inflamed or red resulting in bleeding when brushing. This is the initial stage of the gum disease and can be treated with the help of a reputed Sarnia dentist. If gingivitis is not treated on time, it can lead to Periodontitis.
Periodontitis is a condition in which the inner layer of the gum and bone detach from the teeth and create pockets. These small gaps between gums and teeth collect food particles and can get infected. The bacteria in the plaque start producing toxins or poison that start to damage the bone and connective tissues that keep teeth in place. So, teeth start leaving their place, and get lose, resulting in tooth loss. Gum disease is the major cause of tooth loss in adults and is also associated with actually causing heart disease and respiratory issues.
The other factors that lead to gum diseases include:
- Illness – such as diabetes
- Hormonal Changes such as pregnancy
Visit your family dental clinic in Sarnia to learn how you can maintain good oral health, when affected by any of these.
Follow these tips to ensure great dental health:
If you are looking for ways to stay orally healthy and keep gum problems at bay, follow below given tips:
- Visit your Sarnia dentist regularly. They won’t only check and clean your teeth and gums to rectify any potential issues but they can also give advice to avoid many dental problems.
- Brush your teeth twice daily with a soft brush.
- Floss after meals to remove any food struck in between your teeth.
- Use a dentist recommended mouthwash.
- Avoid consuming tobacco.
- Follow a healthy diet. Healthy food provides all the vital nutrients and assists in fighting and protecting the teeth and gums from bacteria. Thus, it is recommended to maintain a healthy diet.
- If you experience unusual things inside your mouth, don’t ignore them, make an appointment today and Sarnia dentists will be happy to put your oral health back on the right track.
For a dental consultation in Sarnia, feel free to contact us. We provide complete dental care services and help you in maintaining perfect oral health that not just allows you to eat and drink what you want but also to smile and talk with confidence.